Virus warning

Moderator: Officers

Kofn
Site Admin

Virus warning

Post by Kofn »

Tojan Horse virus stealing WoW passwords (IE users only)
[User]

Just passing out a warning regarding a Trojan Horse virus which has caused numerous WoW accounts to get hacked.

The Trojan Horse only affects users of Microsoft's Internet Explorer, since it was embedded in the code of a pop-up banner that was being hosted on the Allakhazam site. People who visited the Allakhazam site in the past few weeks using IE as their browser have been exposed to this virus.

There is a thread about it on the Allakhazam forums. The responsible banner provider has since been spotted and has been blocked by Allakhazam until further notice.

To see if you are affected by this Trojan Horse, look in the Program files\internet explorer directory for a file called "syssmss.exe". If it is present, you have the Trojan on your machine; kill the process in the task manager and delete this file, along with the copy placed in %WIN_DIR%\Downloaded Program Files, called either "fucksnow.exe" or "muma.exe". Apologies for the name of that one file, but that's what it's called.

As a final note, people who have a firewall and virus scanner which are up to date as well as run updates on their Windows OS often, should not have been infected. It appears the Trojan makes use of a security leak which has been fixed by Microsoft a while ago. More info is in the topic listed above.

Addendum by Onetree: Allakhazam has posted a Trojan Virus Alert.
Turook

Post by Turook »

Thanks for the heads up mate.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

/morns WoW users
Turook

Post by Turook »

Damn, I was trying to keep it serious Maz.
/laughs his arse off at the WoW players :orclol:
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

I have no sympathy. After that ingame plague episode I think WoW is a little more cooler however they should suffer more
varutia

Post by varutia »

WoW is lot more popular which naturally get targeted by baddies more. Every corner you turn you bump into WoW players these days and I work in an IT company, nobody play EQ except me :(.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

people keep telling me WoW is a lot more popular - I honestly dont see it
varutia

Post by varutia »

Late last year when I was in the shop looking at the new games and happens to be standing in front of the WoW section, the salesman came up and said it is all sold out, they are waiting for more shipment. That alone said plenty about WoW. Also 4 million active subscriber, that is 10 times more than EQ at it's heydays. I know at least 4 WoW player in the company I am working at.

WoW is lotta more popular in Asia compare to EQ where probably half of their active subscriber located at.

I tried about half hour after a friend of mine brought into it, did not really liked it because it is too similar with EQ, just about everything I done there is equivalent in EQ. Maybe because I was too set in doing things in EQ ways :orcgrin:
Mynxi

Post by Mynxi »

"popular" is such a hard to define term. It is all relative.

I recently had someone try to explain to be what teams were in the AFL but apparantly football in Melbourne is more popular then ever, "everyone" is into it.

Maybe WoW is more popular at high schools. There is also probably different types of player bases.
Mynxi
Temvardar

Post by Temvardar »

WoW is an excellent game, graphically gorgeous, well written quests, an immersive world... There is no doubt the creators looked at what made games like EQ successfull and incorporated those aspects, they would have been stupid not to. It's one failing in my opinion... the player base, being Blizzard they inherited the Bnet generation, as well as newcommers, one only has to degrade oneself by looking at the WoW forums to understand what I am talking about.

I would be suprised thow if this trojan stays limited to just WoW players, it could so easily be modified to find out info on anything you do, EQ passwords, banking passwords etc. Just another reason to curse the monkies at microsoft....
Lord Hunter Temvardar Silverwolf
90 Huntmaster of Karana
Mynxi

Post by Mynxi »

Another reason to consider using Firefox or another browser.

Site Statistics say 20% of hits were from Firefox. Does this Mazia uses IE? ;)
Mynxi
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

tadaaa blame my ex-wife. Firefox rocks
Mynxi

Post by Mynxi »

Bleh I meant to say:
only 20% of site hits on Firefox. Does this mean Mazia uses IE?

yeah, way funnier this way, yeah

do be do
Mynxi
zappity

Post by zappity »

at uni i see people browsing wow forums all the time as i walk around in pc labs etc. not once seen anything eq related
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

At dorm, I know of 4 people out of 60ish playing MMORG, 3 of them are WoW, last one EQ.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

/shrugs so far I have seen dorms, uni's and some people at work.

Sounds popular with a different generation nuf said.
Turook

Post by Turook »

Hmm how do we know the statistics released are right? 4 million players yadda yadda, I'd be releasing that my game was all powerful too if I could.

It's kinda funny the amount of people that I know that left EQ to go play it only to either come back or stop playing completely.
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Personally I think EQ is for sure getting very few new players, certainly not enough to create a functional newbie community.

Go to any of the newbie zones and you will find people being PL'd or twinks. If you come across a 'real' newbie, its jaw-dropping astonishment time.

Dunno how long it will last, as theres a solid base of players workin up to the high-end and making alts.

But its dead at the bottom end, and I don't think it will ever recover. Its just basic human psychology. If you start an MMOG are you going to go for an old one with a dropping share of the market, or are you going to go for the whizzy, pretty gfx new whizz bang model.

Put yourself in the mind of someone who has never ever played an MMOG before, what would you do. Try not to think in terms of an experienced MMOG player who even knows what a "raid" is, or that they even exist, cos all the things that make EQ great are the sort of things that are appreciated by experienced MMOG players. A true noob wont even know that there are these issues.

MeloxXx
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Agreed with Melo there. The only reason I came to EQ instead of WoW was the fact that I played EQ for a month when it first came out, and thought it was the best thing I'd ever played. If I'd been a true newbie though, I wouldn't have even considered it, the graphics are a bit clunky and out of date, and some of the things we've gotten used to (i.e. Horrific pathing, mindlessly stupid enemies, getting stuck in trees) would turn a true newbie off instantly. If I'd bought a game in the bargain bin, brought it home, and gotten trapped in a wall, I'd throw it out without a second thought and gone back to good old Diablo 1.

Rather than wasting time creating new tutorials, etc, if they're truly interested in trying to get new players involved, they should make the game a little more accessable (not from a gameplay perspective, but more things like collision detection, pathetically bad performance on computers that chew right through more visually complex games, etc)

They won't of course, but oh well. The game should survive a fair bit longer with it's current population.

Just my two cents worth
There are no atheists in a hen house.

varutia

Post by varutia »

Double or even more the xp gain rate for people under 50, these days most of crowd is on the top end, no point limiting new comers to at where there are truely very few people are around. As melo said, there are very very few true newbies anymore, you bump into them from time to time, but they are rare as it come.

EQ is a grand game that is a bit like the old MuD ones that you really need to be a little geeky to stuck into it these days. I was a big MuD player, the thing attracted me about EQ at first is that it is like a MuD but only in 3D, of course it turns to be much more than that.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

I played Ultima online before I came to EQ and EQ creamed it. I remember when they redid the graphics in EQ (new models) and it was like ooooh ahhhh etc etc.

I remember the newbi experience and your right there arnt that many arround these days. The why with regards that is just the dozens other MMOG's that are about. And its a case of who has the most advertising. Thats honestly more the case than anything else.

Yes I agree that the graphics are clunkey and pathing issues etc etc however thats honestly the game. Always has been from newbi experience on out.

I agree that more work could be done on the graphics engine though to streamline it ala HL2 or something. ATI / Nvdia compiles or something but chances of that happening are nill.

The other thing as has been mentioned before Blizard has 2 main streems of people playing WoW. Battlenet D1 D2 junkies (omg I am sooooo glad I dont play that any more) and Starcraft players (if you have ever sat in a room full of die hard Starcraft players you know what I mean). I like to think of EQ these days as a mature persons MMOG. So long as there is a solid happening stable player base its all good and will continue pouring money into sony reserves.
Kysumu

Post by Kysumu »

I like to think of EQ these days as a mature persons MMOG.
Hehehehehehe .. That is a funny statement d00d. Made my day :)

Maybe because it has been around for 6 to 7 years and the older people who started playing EQ are now even older.
Kysumu
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

yup :)
ronni

Post by ronni »

Mazia wrote:people keep telling me WoW is a lot more popular - I honestly dont see it
you have no idea how many middle schools / hiigh schools are there in the states. :orcgrin:
ronni

Post by ronni »

eq wasnt as easy to play as it is, which imo did some filtering. eq is old game now, new player inc = spent ages to catch up in terms of AA / gear. but its also the reason most of us still here, i think... the time u spent in wont be easily hmm matched*?

ps. wow i m making no sense ... well pretend i m doin +1 then