RBA Interest Rate cut

Moderator: Officers

Chordling

Post by Chordling »

LoL Miru, 'tidy profit' is an understatement :p
Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

housing market took quite a beating recently.
A real estate agent told me they even stop investing in new building projects as the cost of material is too high atm.
Sales on houses are way down but rentals are steady.

Creac pretty much explain most of it in summary without going too indepth.
leidana

Post by leidana »

New estates keep popping up in my area, makes me sad all of the 5 and 10 acre properties are becoming 600sq m blocks with massive houses on them.
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

These were the predictions one guy tossed out there I was reading:
· Congress will fund the $700b.

· I predict that Rates will come down next Tuesday to 6.5%.

· The 90day Bank Bill swap rate has dropped in the last week from 7.47% to 7.01%.

· The 90day Bill rate is now 6.96%. This is below the RBA 7% rate.

· Australian banks are awash with money and have just recently lodged with the RBA a record $11b. This compares with an average $2.5b over the first half of the year.

· The RBA itself has bought $840m in mortgages off the banks in one day alone last week.

· We know the supply of housing is at critically low levels.

· As a result rents are still going through the roof on record low vacancies. The lowest is Sydney on 1.5%.

· I predict that within weeks the media will be full of positives on our low rates and rising house prices. Vendors will start refusing offers and escalate prices rapidly.

· Buyers who hesitate now will be paying these higher prices.

· Can I quote Warren Buffet recently - 'When there is greed in the market I have fear. When there is fear in the market I have greed. There is now fear in the market and I am buying.'
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Creac

Post by Creac »

$2.8b injection into the banking system today - about $1b more than "necessary" and talk about further economic stimulus through more immediate increases in pensions (ie spending some of the surplus).

Increase in bank deposit guarantees by the RBA and I think the next 18-24 months will see housing increase as interest rates continue to lower. It will also be generally a little harder to get a loan, but that's not a bad thing.

If you're thinking of buying, I'd say save like you've never saved before and be ready to grab something in 6-18 months if you can.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

I'm looking at selling up in about 2 years time.

Failing that, I might just toss some cash at the house and fancy it up and rent it out for a decent price and buy a small cottage for cheap in the sticks. The rental would cover the house repayments.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
roobboo

Post by roobboo »

God damn it the banks passed on 80% of the rate cut? We shareholders deserve better. Should have been closer to 20%. Also this latest chaos has provided excellent buy in or extend oppurtunities. :-) To date dividends have only fallen marginally if at all so equities offer far better value now then they did 6 months ago.
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Some of the dividend yeilds are amazing atm.
Kofn
Site Admin

Post by Kofn »

varutia

Post by varutia »

The Herald understands the Government is planning to double the first homeowners grant from $7000 to $14,000 to invigorate the housing market which is slowing.

Who got a house already :).
Ephyr

Post by Ephyr »

and apparently to 21k for new construction....maybe my development investments won't go broke after all! hurrah!

anyone wanna by a house?

-Ephyr
Thyrx

Post by Thyrx »

the thing to take away from this is to live with in your means, prepare for rough times, and stay away from debt in any form wherever possible. people have lost everything in this economic turmoil. do not gamble with anything you are not prepared/willing to lose.

this is where i have been this last month. i have really been wheeling and dealing and if all goes well next spring i will be retiring. if not and all goes wrong.... well at least i now own my home and my orchard (this is due to some of the wheeling and dealing i have been doing) so i will at least have shelter and food.
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

I'm not so sure that I'm not a bit miffed about not having any debt, seeing as I'm now paying to secure all the stupid beyond reason people who spent their ass off because... that's what stupid does...
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

How are you paying?
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

If the government is paying it means that the people - you and me - are paying for it through their taxes or country reserves. Its easy to forget that the Government is actually us.

The british solution that was employed makes the most sence to me. The governement is buying "assets" in the form of shares holdings in the banks. The dividends made subsequently by the companies / banks owned go back into the goverment coffers (back to the people) but the people end up owning components of the banks.

Its a far cry from the government selling off the assets it owns
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

The money would be spent anyway....it's just this is a quick way of bumping the GDP up :)
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Creac

Post by Creac »

You realise that the US plan also involves buying risk from institutions, right? They will likely receive payment of a huge amount of it, and even some return.

varutia

Post by varutia »

They could make money out of it, but could stand to lose a lot of it as well. US government already brought almost 300 billion worth of bad mortgage from various of banks, currently the value is only 30 to 50 percent of what when they originally purchased.

The big talk now is if US Fed reserve will become insolvent as well, this should be interesting.
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Where is Russia and China in all of this? All I've heard about those is that Russia offered to bail out Iceland...

We're so heading for Rusina world domination :p
varutia

Post by varutia »

This is the time foreign reserve actually is handy. China has 2 trillion US dollar worth of it, in addition to that Chinese financial institutions are less exposed to sub-prime compare to most of western country's, they are a decent position.

The key question is what to do with all those money. I guss wait and see will be adopted by Chinese government first, some sort of bail out is possible if things worsen further.

Russia has sizable foreign reserve as well but no where near what China, Japan holds, plus I see the drop of commodities price will have a huge hit on Russia. so if I was them, I'd hold on to that money.

Rank Country/Monetary Authority billion USD (end of month) change in year 2007
1 People's Republic of China $ 1905 (Sept) 1 +32.9%
2 Japan $ 997 (August) +8.7%
3 Russia $ 546 (October 03) 2 [1] +56.8%
— Eurozone $ 555 (July) +16.6%
4 India $ 291 (September 19) 2 +64.4%
5 Republic of China (Taiwan) $ 282 (August) [2] +2.7%
6 South Korea $ 243 (August) +9.7%
7 Brazil $ 205 (Aug 31) 3 +105.9%
8 Singapore $ 175 (July) +19.1%
9 Hong Kong $ 158 (August) +14.6%
10 Germany $ 137 (August) +20.3%
Creac

Post by Creac »

You also need to consider that "bad mortgages" are sometimes only bad on paper, and the ability of an individual to repay isn't the key factor in making the determination. This is mostly to do with various derivative products used to back some of these loans. So the US government is less likely to lose money than it may appear.

Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Its true they may seem bad on paper but really how much of that huge amount of money have they gone through the rick they purchased to see if they were good.

Meh who knows.
varutia

Post by varutia »

It is ok until Fed Reserve run out of money and things still don't seem to improve, some pretty bad things can happen after that.

The amount of debts Australia carries also is pretty significant, this can cause some issues down the road.
Hiroki

Post by Hiroki »

With all due respect, Creac, you can think whatever you want, but you appear to not understand whats going on.

NAB annouced today it will pass along a further .25% interest cut. Giving it's customers the full 1% decrease the RBA gave.

I guess any and all arguements made previously defending the banks position to only pass along .75% of the interest rate cut are now null and void, and all banks can follow suit and pass on the full 1% 8)
Creac

Post by Creac »

Not really. ANZ also made an announcement.

The injection of $2.8b into the banking system earlier in the week and the guarantee of all Australian bank deposits, along with the European plan has done a bit to add confidence and, importantly, liquidity into the system.

With further cuts likely not just here, but globally, in funding costs some of the banks are looking for a competitive advantage by reducing rates further.

You'll also note that here in Australia the federal government undertook to purchase high quality debt from NBFI's in order to lower their cost of funds and stimulate additional competition.

With lending levels dropping significantly the banks are now looking at how to increase volume in a fairly basic supply/demand function.

As to whether other banks can afford to lower their rates will depend on their underlying costs and their appetite for and capacity for more volume, as well as market competition.

Essentially, this week has seen enough moves globally to bring down and, most importantly, forsee continued reductions, in global funding costs.

The essential argument that local rates are not the be all and end all of funding remains. You'll also note that I said going forward I'd expect them to pass on local cuts in full.

I know you were trying to be funny, but some people are trying to glean a genuine understanding of what's happening without being driven by uninformed bias, so it's worth providing an informed analysis.

If you don't think I know what I'm talking about, that's fine. Ignore me.