ausMMO - the aussie community site for MMO freaks!

Moderator: Officers

Spanka

ausMMO - the aussie community site for MMO freaks!

Post by Spanka »

My thanks to Thoraf for permission to post and tell you guys about something I hope 'gets big' :)

Howdy folks - Spanka here. Although, I could be Huusyer, Spankz, Amareck or Spankles (*sigh*), depending on what game I was in at the time. I've been around MMO's for quite some time (although not quite as long as many veterans out there) and one day, I noticed something. A lot of us are MMO freaks (yeah, real perceptive Spanka...). Our entire gaming life is based on having mates, knowing people and networking...all of which translates into having a strong community around us to enjoy our gaming. Up until now, those communities are 'in guild' or 'in game' - you leave the guild or game, and you leave that network of friends.

Short version: www.ausmmo.com.au is a site dedicated to getting & keeping the Aussie & NZ MMO community together, regardless of guild, game, server or anything else. Catching up with old mates, finding new ones, getting a guild together, current game news feeds, links & resources, guild listings & guild recruitment. The site has heaps of stuff for several MMO titles, as well as several guilds who host their site & forums there. Come along and get your game on!

Long version: Every time someone leaves a guild/game, there's a chance they get 'lost' to that community they were a part of. Every time a player joins a new game, they are looking for a strong guild, usually with old mates from previous games. Sometimes, that player joins the wrong server, or is unaware of a large collection of their previous guild mates on a different server. Its happened to most of us at some point and 'that's just crap Ray'. For a gaming lifestyle that is almost totally dependant upon the mates, networks and guilds that MMO'ers rely on, this seemed to be absolute bollox. Yes, bollox! So I've done something about it - http://www.ausmmo.com.au. Its for all Aussie & NZ MMORPG'ers. Its free. I reckon its time we got our game on as a community as a whole. I reckon its time we got our crap together and started sticking together.

There's public forums (Forum Link) to shoot the breeze and game specific forums for game specific chat (wow, what a concept!). There is a growing links database, categorised by game (Resources Link), which also contains guild listings for every game currently supported. There's a front end news site (News Site link), which contains a bootload of feeds from all the major sites (TTH, official players sites, official forum feeds, grab bags and anything else I could find, including about 20 web comics!). Lastly, the forum memberlist has the ability to list up to 5 characters (yeah, I'm working on expanding beyond this limit), so that people can find MMO players they already know on the site. I'd be very surprised if ANY Aussie gamer could sign up and not find someone they know.

My aim is to make ausMMO *the* gaming site for Australian/NZ MMO players. All the links, news feeds, updates, forums, networking and guild listings that any MMO'er could want to get their game on and stay up to date in any game - in one place. A place where players can find old mates (and new ones), guilds can recruit, people can hook up, servers can be chosen for upcoming games - all of it. Networking for our community its rawest form.

The games currently supported are Everquest, Everquest II, Vanguard, Warhammer Online and World of Warcraft: the major MMO titles. As time goes by, I'll be expanding the site to specifically support other games - AoC, Darkfall, LoTRO and others like it.

Additionally, ausMMO offers guild hosting to Australian & New Zealand guilds. As an example, Reverence (Vanguard) has their front end site (Reverence's Vanguard site) as well as their forums, sitting nicely inside our Vanguard boards. In the last month, they've picked up a couple of new players, simply by being at ausMMO - just because people floating around on the boards were interested in Vanguard and had a quick and easy way to find info, old mates and a guild.

I know of several people who have found old mates that they lost contact with years ago. Personally, I've caught up with a couple of people I hadn't chatted to in ages. Its cool. Its working. But most importantly, its growing.

So drop by ausMMO and have a gander. There's plenty there to check out, the feeds (naturally) auto update with all the latest news. And the site is whatever the COMMUNITY wants to make it. If you have a guild you want hosted in a game that I haven't listed yet, go for it - ask away. Got links? Awesome - submit them. Reckon there's a more informative news feed that I haven't listed? Tell me about it. I'm very serious about running this site for the community, not myself. If you want stuff, ask for it. I want ausMMO to be everything that the Aussie MMORPG community wants.

If you've got an queries, drop me a PM or catch me at ausMMO. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Spanka
Spanka
Nerd, slave to ausMMO.
Creac

Post by Creac »

Thanks for the post, Spanka (and thanks for PMing Thor first and getting the all clear - speaks well of you!).

Looks very interesting and I hope it all goes well :-)

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

I am with Creac. Its a good idea and any idea your passionate about can take you places. I hope it takes off for you and it looks like a great place to hang out.
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

Great idea, I may go check it out now :)
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

thing is I'm not an MMO freak.. I'm an EQ freak :P

Probably more use to people who flip around different games/guilds than the ones that just hang around in one place.
Suzuko

Post by Suzuko »

Sounds rad.
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

rad? wtf? people still say that? :p
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Thoraf wrote:Probably more use to people who flip around different games/guilds than the ones that just hang around in one place.
We have plenty of those :p
Zurtle

Post by Zurtle »

Micahle wrote:rad? wtf? people still say that? :p
Suz isn't a person..
Spanka

Post by Spanka »

Lovin the positive response from you lads - its rad! Haha. Rad. wtf?

Thoraf is right - it IS of more use to people to have moved games (at least once) - player pops got a lot more transient (for the most part) once EQ2 and WoW came out. Amazing what 'choice' can do to the consumer eh? :P

I reckon though that in a few months from now (if I get it right), ausMMO will be the central place to recruit/advertise your guild and generally keep everyone in contact. That's really what Im after - 'the central place'.

Thoraf posted some stuff about EQ on our boards. 54 man raids? Instanced raids? TWELVE man 'raids'? WTF? Next you'll be telling me that clerics have dps, rangers can tank, groups want necros and enchanters aren't the demi-gods of norrath!

Truly, the wheels of time turn.
Spanka
Nerd, slave to ausMMO.
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

Sony still shaft druids though....a least they kept that consistent:P
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

I tossed in some posts to get the Tanking section going posted from where I plagerised them from the warrior boards. Will post my outdated all about manaregen thread also to caster boards
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

You also need a Bard thread :P
Spanka

Post by Spanka »

Aedryn! I remember you from AN! Long time no chat! I hear there is a site out there that allows mmo players to find old guild mates... :P Aranoth/Poursome are both on ausMMO...Shianne/Rania, Heelye, Tziss, Mergaroth/Tzorgaz and a few others.

As to the brad board - yeah, I just put up the cookie cutter stuff for archtypes until I got around to creating a full set. Newer mmo's only really need archtype stuff, but EQ...ahh yes...EQ. Different rules for every class :)

Thanks for the reminder Jarinu!
Spanka
Nerd, slave to ausMMO.
Suzuko

Post by Suzuko »

Micahle wrote:
rad? wtf? people still say that? :p

Suz isn't a person..
Im special...
Creac

Post by Creac »

I've added this site to our Links page, btw.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Spanka

Post by Spanka »

Cheers Creac - appreciated :)
Spanka
Nerd, slave to ausMMO.