Australian English to American English

Moderator: Officers

Verc

Post by Verc »

Bobbi wrote:???? = cop / police officer (can't remember what suz called it, maybe military related)

pigs = cop / police officer /fuzz
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

coxxin
Arrowmiss

Post by Arrowmiss »

Nobody's mentioned Seppo yet??
boonees

Post by boonees »

Old post i know, but was busy reading it and saw the reference to dingo's, which because of where i am at the moment seemed coincedental.

Outside right now all i can hear is dingo's, im camped at sylvania station around 60kms sth east of newman in west aus, oh yeah i am working )
I get to go home for a week next tuesday, ie fly in fly out, and hopefully some eq time.
Boonees 82 necro
Banur 75 cleric
Bazilisk 75 sharman
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

hmm sounds like some good photo opps out there :P
Gamanern

Post by Gamanern »

Nekrha

Post by Nekrha »

pissed = drunk
pissed off = annoyed
struth = surprised
bonza = really great
dunny = bathroom
mistor

Post by mistor »

I think I learned my aussie slang from Tropic Thunder.
Giustin

Post by Giustin »

Can't believe everyone here missed BASTARD ... you dumb bastards

The descriptive term "bastard" has been used in Australia for well over 100 years in various circumstances. One of the most famous occured during the controversial Bodyline (cricket) series of 1932-33, the English captain Douglas Jardine was said to have visited the Australian dressing room to complain bitterly to his counterpart Bill Woodfull that an Australian player had called him a bastard.

Woodfull turned to his team and said: "Which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

Bastard is one of the most useful words in the Australian language ... it can mean so many things depending on context.

Here are but a few

LUCKY BASTARD ... Someone whos good fortune is usually atributed to pure chance rather than skill.

YOU OLD BASTARD … Roughly translates as: “You’re me mate and a cunning one at that.”

ORDINARY OLD BASTARD … Person of nondescript nature, unextraordinary, rather colourless personality and generally devoid of most appealing characteristics.

POOR BASTARD … Really means: “You’re a stupid fool.” Or: “You rightfully are worthy of the most profound sympathy due to your impoverished stature.”

FUNNY BASTARD … Means: “I can’t work you out, but you’re still me mate.” Or: “You’re a comical fella.”

YOU’RE A BRIGHT BASTARD … Really means: “You’re a stupid dick-head” Or “Your intellectual faculties are far below standard or what is commonly regarded as acceptable by clever bastards like myself.”

A FAIR BASTARD … Completely untrustworthy, lacking all moral equilibrium.

LOUSY BASTARD … Your capacity for generosity is only equalled by your excruciatingly, and unforgivable, stinginess.

PRICKLY BASTARD … Overly sensitive or easily offended.

A BIT OF A BASTARD … This intimates that the bastard in question has a tendency to be untrustworthy.

BLUDGING BASTARD … Usually a derogatory aspersion alluding to a bloke’s parasitical or slothful attitudes.

PAINFUL OLD BASTARD … A specimen of humanity who is extremely difficult to suffer or tolerate.

CHEEKY BASTARD … One overly endowed with inflated sense of self-esteem.

STINKING (or) ROTTEN BASTARD … Despite the descriptive adjectives, this does not necessarily imply an odorous condition, but more one of objectionable substance.

CRANKY OLD BASTARD … Individual of obnoxious demeanour, exhibiting unpleasant anti-social characteristics and inappropriate attitudes.

SEXY BASTARD … One whose libido is overly active or afflicted with exaggerated erotic imagination and capacity.

GREASY BASTARD … Means: “I wouldn’t trust ya as far as I could kick ya.”

GOOD (or) NICE OLD BASTARD … You’re the type who helps little old ladies, confused nuns and stray dogs.

DEAD SET BASTARD … “Quite frankly … You’re a bastard … a bloody bastard … and a fair dinkum bloody bastard at that!"
HerryWIllan

Re: Australian English to American English

Post by HerryWIllan »

Not a bad thought mate