Need help

Moderator: Officers

Ezzeryen

Need help

Post by Ezzeryen »

i have a question i got a External Hard Drive that was working 2 days ago i think i over loaded it but now it isn't working i keep getting a error like

cannot copy file cannot read from source or disk

when i turn it off and on again i sometimes get to see the file i have one it but i cant do anything with them is there away somehow to get the data off the drive i guess it is going down hill fast
Tenam

Post by Tenam »

A couple different guides I read recently said that simply turning a drive upside down can help in some cases. If that doesn't work, you can try putting it in the freezer (in a ziplock bag) for a few hours as well. With my limited knowledge of hard drives, I'd say the drive sounds doomed. I recently had an external HDD die, and nothing worked to save it. :(
Ezzeryen

Post by Ezzeryen »

yeah but there is some stuff i like to try and get off it but if i can't i can't hell it won't even format haha its trying to start up but dosn't get very far
Orlandith

Post by Orlandith »

It seemed like the driver mounted and dismounted. Could be driver issue or issue with the anti-virus or maybe firewall. Have you tried that on other computer? If they both do the same, the drive IO maybe hosed.
Ezzeryen

Post by Ezzeryen »

yeah i did i was cop[ying stuff to it when it stop working i formated computer and went back to windows xp from windows 7 i tested it on my wife computer that has xp too but wait till she gets home to try on the laytop that has windows 7 and see what happens
varutia

Post by varutia »

Can be a faulty power supply relating to the box itself or the power cable. My first external had a dodgy power cable and it would give the error message you have.

Personally I have seen more case related issues rather than disk itself.
Ezzeryen

Post by Ezzeryen »

We took it out of the box and plugged it into the computer the computer wouldn't start brother inlaw took it home to play with it