No votes
Samsung 830 Series 128GB - $110.00
14%

Total votes: 7
Artreth

SSD and peoples recommendations

Post by Artreth »

Hey Guys,

Been out of the loop for a while with computer hardware as the devil has been taking a lot of my time, but wife has given me permission to arrange a SSD For my desktop so I can get one now ... w00t w00t.

Because I don't want to wait for delivery, I am going to pick it up from my nearest MSY Computer outlet around the corner, but as I have no experience with SSD technology, and only have so much time to read through reviews etc. Just wanted to know peoples personal experiences with this so that I can get some Real World answers to the devices I am looking at.

My Options at present are:

Intel 330 SATA3 120GB - $102.00
Intel 520 SATA3 120GB - $145.00
Kingston SVP200S3 120GB - $89.00
Patriot Pyro 120GB - $89.00
OCZ Octane 128GB - $69.00
OCZ Agility3 120GB - $89.00
OCZ Agility4 128GB - $105.00
OCZ Vertex4 128GB - $116.00
Sandisk Extreme 120GB - $99.00
Samsung 830 Series 128GB - $110.00

I have read reviews on the Intel 330 and 520 series, and the main difference between those devices is simple the transfer speeds due to a different threading technology used between them. The Patriot Pyro had some shocking reviews on the first release, but from what I have heard they have increased their standards somewhat.

I have read the other posts on Kiizzes new computer thread about the OCZ Hard drives, and the issues that some have had on them, however my own experience with these has been positive (Got one with wifes new laptop and haven't had a single issue yet)

Haven't heard diddly squat about the Sandisk or Samsung Hard drives.

Any feedback you can provide would be great, and as I am meant to be getting this on Friday or Saturday I will have to go with Limited Feedback. Only got the permission to go get this tonight as my Birthday Present from my wife =P.
Jowdii

Post by Jowdii »

Having had 2 OCZ fail recently, my personal opinion is to stay away.
They were Vertex2 series though, which i understand may have been an issue across many manufacturers.

I just replaced the one in my main PC with a Sandisk 240GB and have been happy with it so far.

I think i need to do an OS build on it tho.
I cloned my rebuild from a SATA drive, and i don't think it is operating as fast as it should.

Having said that, I wish I'd waited for the INtel to be available - no stock at the time my one failed, and i didnt feel like waiting :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

they have certainly come down in price.... I have some kind of OCZ never had problems with it - think its a 2 cant remember

Have to repair Sonna's machine hard drive first...
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

Recently built a new PC since my last died so I can game again and I got a OCZ Vertex4 128GB for the OS and games, it runs brilliantly...
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Artreth

Post by Artreth »

OK, after the results I got here, and the investigation I put in myself to/from work etc. I was adamant that I was going OCZ. I read some real bad reviews about the Intel SSD's and their Sanforce Chips, so tried to steer away from those unless it was completely necessary that I got one.

Therefore my toss up was between the OCZ Vertex, or OCZ Agility Drives, I was hoping to get the Vertex as the reviews were better, but the Agility was a decent second choice. So I went into my nearest MSY Yesterday, asked about the different drives, whether the guy knew about any issues with either, (and with the intel), he advised that he wouldn't recommend the Intel unless you were happy doing some manual config, and tbh, I don't have the time. So pulled out the Credit Card, and asked for the Vertex Drive after the praise the guy sung out for it. Low and behold, out of stock, and wouldn't get anymore in. He then rubbed salt into the wounds, and told me the guy who had just walked out purchased the last one ... grrr.

OK, so I walked out then as I had to rush off to something else. Was still tossing up with the intel or the OCZ Agility drive. I figured I could putin the config time, and figured it would be decent to have it. So called the store back, and asked whether they had any of the Intel 520 drives in Stock, Low and behold, Last one sold as I was on the phone. Asked about the Agility 4 Drives, and 1 left, but the guy thought a customer had just asked about it. I was starting to think it was about time I gave up on my SSD.

Guy tells me to come into the store in a few hours, and he will see what he can arrange. So I drive back to the store 2hours later, and he managed to get someone from the City MSY to drop in a Vertex 4 specifically for me, and he knocked the price down to 50%. So I managed to get my OCZ Agility 4 128GB drive at $54.50 as it wasn't officially on the stores books ... It was also the last one in stock through the closest MSY outlets in Adelaide (4 branches).

Got home, set it up, and transferred my 12GB EQ File onto it, running Win8 64 Bit, and the extra 4GB Of RAM that I purchased out of the spare cash I had left over, and figured I would give EQ a go to ensure I had it running for raids tomorrow.

With no issues at all, EQ ran seemlessly, and ZOMG, I load so much quicker into game (unsure about zoning etc). I am so happy with my new SSD that I am thinking of going back to purchase another for my wifes laptop now =P. Anyone who doesn't have one, I would highly recommend getting one, and OCZ through MSY seems to be the way to go.
amadeas

Post by amadeas »

Artreth wrote: So I managed to get my OCZ Agility 4 128GB drive at $54.50 as it wasn't officially on the stores books.
Nice catch :o
Artreth wrote: I am so happy with my new SSD that I am thinking of going back to purchase another for my wifes laptop now =P.
An SSD in a laptop is a HUGE improvement on boot times, I played around with a V2 in my hp lappy and it was a big improvement hated having to remove it after though :!:
Creac

Post by Creac »

A laptop SSD will also increase your work time becaues it draws less power.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Artreth

Post by Artreth »

That is awsome creac. My wife has a shitty Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop, it only came with a 3 cell li-ion battery, which runs down very quickly, like 3 hours of general browsing etc and its flat.

Anyone know whether I can upgrade the battery to a 6 cell battery. Model of Laptop is Toshiba Satellite Pro C850D. I have tried searching ebay, but nothing come up. So going to contact Toshiba when I have some more time.
amadeas

Post by amadeas »

Artreth wrote:That is awsome creac. My wife has a shitty Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop, it only came with a 3 cell li-ion battery, which runs down very quickly, like 3 hours of general browsing etc and its flat.

Anyone know whether I can upgrade the battery to a 6 cell battery. Model of Laptop is Toshiba Satellite Pro C850D. I have tried searching ebay, but nothing come up. So going to contact Toshiba when I have some more time.
3 hours seems to be the norm for that laptop or claimed runtime by toshiba.
And yes you will save some power with an ssd no spinning platters :)
found a battery guide from toshiba and the standard battery seems to be 24watt and the 6 cell 48 watt.
What doesn't seem to stack up is the runtime with the 48watt 6 cell batt pack is still 3 hours. :?
Found some listings for batteries on ebay claiming 48watt 6 cell between $30-$60