AV or HDMI Signal Senders

Moderator: Officers

Artreth

AV or HDMI Signal Senders

Post by Artreth »

Hey Guys,

Stretching into the realm of Home Theatres here, and this is something to which I am not very well versed.

I am looking for (if it even exists), a device that can be plugged directly into a TV Antenna Port, and send a TV Signal around my home.

Situation is, TV Reception where I live is shit (To the point where I have already installed a better antenna, with Booster, and an internal house booster to get TV Signal), and being a Rental, the owner who is a douche won't allow us to install extra TV Antenna Outlets in the home. So I am looking for something to get a TV Working in my bedroom so that I am not stuck with the mindless drivel that is Childrens Programming today.

I know of the standard AV Senders available, which change the channel on the originating device (eg. Son is watching TV on Lounge TV, I want to watch something different on Bedroom TV, but turn on to Sender and find I am only getting kids shows still) ... And was just wondering whether there was something a little more advanced which enables me to watch a separate channel, by sending the originating signal directly through the house, not just what is being broadcast on another TV.

I would prefer something on the 5.8GHz spectrum as my modem is 2.4 and I don't want to impact my WiFi Network Performance =P.
Gamanern

Post by Gamanern »

Are you just trying to use the same digital free-to-air signal on two devices?

It appears you have the antenna and a signal amplifier already, so why not just split the cable off so it hooks to both TVs and they both do their own tuning?

I think most signal amplifiers work with up to 4 devices.

We had a new antenna installed last year, and the amplifier was placed in serial on the first position, so the rest of the sockets then benefitted from it.
Creac

Post by Creac »

You can't (and by that I mean you and me as home users) rebroadcast the entire current DTV spectrum around your house. What that means is that you need something to "tune" to a particular frequency (channel) and then rebroadcast that for you. That's what your AV Sender does, but it needs a tuner.

You can do as Gamanern says and just run another coax around to give you an "aerial" in the other room, but if that's not practical then you need to do it closer to the original and put another tuner to output to the AV Sender and then you receive that. Typically, a PVR is good for that (in previous decades, a VCR achieved the same thing) if you also want to be able to record and such, otherwise just get a Set Top Box for close to nix to do that job for you (and setup the remote control rebroadcast on the AV Sender).

The splitter can be quite simple - probably with a balun, but whatever you get at DSE should do the trick to split between the two. If you're using signal boosters, there shouldn't be any need to use a powered splitter.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Nescafe

Post by Nescafe »

Possibly a combination of these may be suitable. I am no expert nor had the need for any form of HDMI/AV relay-repeat-something. How ever I do use some D-Link Ethernet over power which work well.

This set up would require as similar to Creac says by setting up another set top box close to where the coax is currently and start the circus!

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... TID=1014#4

or

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... TID=1012#4

AND

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... TID=1043#6

Brand and product source substitutions allowed! :P

Post by Creac »

PoE works quite well so long as the electrics are in good condition (I use it in my unit, it's great). I'd recommend getting the 500 meg implementation for the necessary bandwidth - plus you'd get a wired internet connection into the room, if that's of some use. Good option.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Gamanern

Post by Gamanern »

Teach the kid to read and skip his TV completely.

Maybe even have him play outside ... but be careful that requires you to be outside as well.