Hello from the past

Moderator: Officers

Original_Silk

Hello from the past

Post by Original_Silk »

G'day Wreckers,

Came across a "Wrecking Crew" guild today in a game I'm playing and it made me wonder if Wreckers was still alive .. a little googling later and it looks like you are - hard to imagine it lasted 20 years since the 10 of us founded it - and even looks like you're still playing EQ!

Any of the old faces still there?
Falern

Re: Hello from the past

Post by Falern »

Hi Silk hope you're doing well after all these years. Not sure how many in the guild would even know who you are unfortunately, I'm an oldie from 2007/8 or so and only know your name through stories. If I recall correctly you were either the first guild leader or close to?

A few of the oldies still haunt the forums now and then. Thoraf stops by now and then and is enjoying retirement, Creac and Weolyen tend to float around and never say anything but not sure if you knew either, other names that are longer termers include Etha (active, shouts occasionally), Leidana (inactive but will be back soon (TM)), Mazia/Jarinu (active and reminds us regularly, and is invaded by Sonna every now and then), Tuttola (active, responds when we poke him), and I'm sure I've missed several who will now chastise me. The Wreckers of today is vastly different to what I knew when I first joined up, as I'm sure that one was unrecognisable to the one you knew.

Like all guilds Wreckers has good times and challenging times, but the wins keep coming and many targets have been taken down in the current content. Wreckers outlasted all the other Aussie guilds and absorbed players from those when they finished, although there have been a few Aussie guilds on the progression servers (special servers that pretend to be original EQ minus staring at the spell book and corpse runs, then release expansion content according to a timeline/criteria).

Fal/Ast/Nunnas/nobody you've ever heard of anyway :)
Original_Silk

Post by Original_Silk »

Hi Fal,

I was indeed the first guild leader :) It's been a long time but I think I can remember most of the 10 of us who started it off - Scattrick, Benaire, Sset, Malaia, Rebu and Severis are the ones off the top of my head closely followed by the cleric crew (Asphodel, Miruwin, Issolde, Kathodos), Wizzies (Starshape and Zappity), Warriors (Sawdoff, Halur, Nerg and Custardtart), Rogues (Raenaras), Rangers (Giustin and Aamasi) and druids (Meriane and Mystie). I'm pretty sure Kunark was the active expansion at the time we formed. Thoraf joined with a few mates (Curtis, Kysumu and a wizzie) late in life and took over the guildleadership when Scattrick, Sset, Benaire and I retired to head back to PVP land with Shadowbane :) We definitely lived in the land of corpse runs, as I distinctly remember a guild project to level a monk and farm his faction to park him in TOV for corpse runs (and a couple of rescue missions to help guilds that had lost 3 levels trying to break Plane of Fear and recover their corpses).

Great to see its lasted .. and the posts indicate some of the original spirit survived. In our beginning there were so few serious players in our timezone that we physically couldn't build a raid guild with the size to tackle most of the raid content going around, so we made our name figuring out how to do stuff with 20-30 people that everyone else was using 50 or 60 for.
leidana

Post by leidana »

Falern wrote:
Mon 14 Jun, 2021 8:38 pm
Hi Silk hope you're doing well after all these years. Not sure how many in the guild would even know who you are unfortunately, I'm an oldie from 2007/8 or so and only know your name through stories. If I recall correctly you were either the first guild leader or close to?

A few of the oldies still haunt the forums now and then. Thoraf stops by now and then and is enjoying retirement, Creac and Weolyen tend to float around and never say anything but not sure if you knew either, other names that are longer termers include Etha (active, shouts occasionally), Leidana (inactive but will be back soon (TM)), Mazia/Jarinu (active and reminds us regularly, and is invaded by Sonna every now and then), Tuttola (active, responds when we poke him), and I'm sure I've missed several who will now chastise me. The Wreckers of today is vastly different to what I knew when I first joined up, as I'm sure that one was unrecognisable to the one you knew.

Like all guilds Wreckers has good times and challenging times, but the wins keep coming and many targets have been taken down in the current content. Wreckers outlasted all the other Aussie guilds and absorbed players from those when they finished, although there have been a few Aussie guilds on the progression servers (special servers that pretend to be original EQ minus staring at the spell book and corpse runs, then release expansion content according to a timeline/criteria).

Fal/Ast/Nunnas/nobody you've ever heard of anyway :)
I’ll be back when I decide to try and stop running 50km trail events. Guess I should maybe say, after I do the 50 miler 😁
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Howdy Silk.

Never got to meet you in the early days but I had some interactions with Custardtart, Zappity and Mystie back in the day. (other than Curt and Thoraf).
First Joined as Mazia. (low on mages) 2003ish

Joined not long after Thoraf took the helm - wreckers was killing IV and Grieg at the time but still smashing Dain as well

I lived in Sydney back then and got to meet Miruwin, Issolde, Giustin and others in the flesh down Bondi a couple of times. Went to Melbourne caught up with Curt, Thoraf stayed with Kysumu and mmet some of the more recent members.

Giustin ducked in the other year to grab an update to Curtvert UI I keep working.

Its not visable but we have a history thread thats horribly out of date from 2004 in the private forums talking about the early days that Giustin compiled.

Copying some from below.
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Reproduced from Giustin's Post:

"Who is Wreckers, and were did we come from?

Wreckers has a long history on Tholuxe Paells server. The following is a repost of the orignal guild leader “Silkenshammie” final post at the end of Wreckers V2 in October 2002.

4 October 2002

Wreckers was formed in March 2001 by a group of 12 toons ( Sawdoff, Severis, Kzar, Sset, Benaire, Rebu, Malaia, Silkenshammie, Zappity, Mystie, Miang, Halur ).

The initial goal of the guild was to have fun, stay small, and achieve whatever could be achieved in the game of Everquest without relying on massive numbers. Secondarily we aimed for a 100% epic completion rate.

The guild functioned for 12 months .. at the end of which time the majority of longterm members quit everquest and it ceased to operate competitively in its original incarnation.

During this period, Wreckers enjoyed a certain amount of infamy for adopting an FFA attitude to the game, and grew at its peak to a total member count of 35 .. in the long run raiding 3-4 times per week with an average raidcrew of 18-24 people and the occasional exceptional turnout of 30.

Achievements:

- All but 2 Wreckers during that time completed their epics .. at last count something in excess of 45 epics were completed covering all classes with the exception of Beastlord.

- Wreckers was the 3rd guild to enter and commence regular hunting in TOV
- Wreckers was the 3rd guild to clear POA ( 22 people )
- Wreckers was the 3rd guild to down Telkoranor and Gozzrem ( 24 people )
- Wreckers was the 3rd guild to down Rhagg 2 ( 24 people )

- Wreckers was the 1st guild to kill the upgraded Rumblecrush ( 20 people )

- Wreckers was the 1st guild to fully clear Veeshan's Peak ( 24 people )

Unfortunately, the end came as we realised that Verant's end-game was more and more being changed to require a regular raid-crew of 40 .. the realisation came too late and we decided to abandon the chase with dignity.

During this time, I personally as the guildleader experienced many amazing times with my co-wreckers and guildmates. I saw fight after fight where we would take a mob on first shot and get it to 90 before wiping then through sheer persistence and bloodymindedness repeat the fight with finetuning until a win was achieved. I'd like to pay personal tribute to the many fine players I shared this time with and the challenges and victories we achieved together.

And to wish the best of luck to those Wreckers still playing the game whether it be with their new guilds or as they continue under the wreckers tag whilst deciding on the best future path.

PS I wish I had a dollar for every time we decided to charge a mob 20 minutes before a patch was due knowing that a loss meant a rolling summon/cr the next day and even a win might mean people stuck due to no time to rez/tl out. Thanks Verant for making your patchtime allow us 2 hrs of raiding on patch days.
Silkenshammie Slickfist
Phatarse of Wreckers

Recent post on another board a discuss the origins, and some Wreckers history

May 2004 Silkenshammie wrote

Hmm .. Wreckers was formed when most of us were in our 50s.

We'd been in a guild formed of ex-TZ people lead by Ubah ( Ressurection ), which then merged with an azn guild lead by Raolain ( I think ), which then wound up with what's his name the monk who made PN as the raidleader, which most of us then quit :P

Original crew from memory was:

Silk
Sawdoff
Severis ( and his sidekick Kzar )
Halur
Zappity
Mystie
Sset
Benaire
Pyxie ( on her necro )
Pokn
Incubous

That was all we had for ages, then I think our first 5 new members ( in no particular order ) were Meriane, Raenaras, Orangu, Miang and Bloodfyst.

Starflake didn't join us for ages, and Flake was a part-timer ( we were whoring the Ubah chanter account which later got namechanged to Scattrick ).

Our first official raid we killed Brother whatshisname in SK for the monk epic and Phinigal. And the first mob we took down after much pain was that useless blinding mob in chardok. From memory, we mostly just worked on epics, hate and fear from our first few months, then we did a lot of western wastes gearing up to be ready to tackle tov and POA and introducing the server to FFA

PS Pretty sure the "Wrecking Crew" thing started life when we were hanging in SolB. We'd do KPC and Sset would pull megatrains and we used to look at the pile of corpses and laugh about how we wrecked 'em.

May 2004 Sset wrote

Silks list is close. We had 12 people, but not Incubous. I think Incy was on a break from EQ when we formed.

I remember we had 1 of every class bar melee hybrids, and 3 warriors.
Malaia/Pyxie was playing Malaia.. Rebu/Pokn was on Pokn... Flake must have been on, playing Ubah.

I have a screenshot of us standing over Brother Qwinns corpse on the night Wreckers was formed,

I've also got screenshots from when we finally killed the blinding mob in Chardok (Korocust) unavailable at the moment.

Raenaras, Miang and Caraway were the first recruits afterwards I think, followed by Incubous (once he started playing again), Orangu, Bloodfyst, Lyrena (boooo), Meriane and Shering/Sherry.

Who was Bailen?

pretty sure we signed up Bailen as a pityvote so we had someone to loot ranja stuff before shering came along.

Bailen was a package deal - came with Yakkar, if memory serves. They were members of my original guild <Plague of Terror>, and left PoT once Phatarse & Company offered an option within their timezone, but weren't founding members. Both dropped out of EQ around Anarchy Online time, and later server-transferred during Luclin's launch (I rememeber them offering insane amounts of plat/gear for Luclin Ranja/Necro spells, since with naked transfers, spells were all you could take with you.

Bailen's real value wasn't preventing ranja loot rot; it was the ability to use his corpses left across the face of Norrath as a navigation tool. I swear he had "/gu fuk, I died" hotkeyed - pity he never learned to add /loc to that hotkey, would've saved us untold hours on the find/rez/rebuff end.

Some comments posted by other TPers at the end of V2

Twas on a summers eve but a year ago
I was sitting in the oasis of marr
Just south of North Ro
With my songs a playing
And caiman a dancing
I did meet the funiest monk of all
His name was Orangu Tang
He did chat with me a while
Stoping to show me some tricks
He did group with me for a bit

Along came Vera & Ulvan
Out for a daily slaughter
They happened upon us
Killing a crocodile in the water
We became aquainted somewhat
And they did stay for another
So off into the sandy hills went the monk Orangu
To bring back even more of the distinguishing few
Twas a beast of proportions
Fitting in name
Lockjaw didst fall to most of our blades

I left them that eve
For slumber and food
Only to cross paths again very soon
From that day to this
They shall always remain
Friends of mine on the list

To those that have moved along
I bid thee adue
Be thee steadfast and wealthy
In all that you do
Drop a line now and then
So that we may look upon old times
And laugh again
See thee someday soon
In a digital world not far away
Where we may travel abroad
And search our way to fame

Forever in our memories
You shall all remain Wreckers
Never forgoten,

and

Wreckers, imho you guys were truly the most skilled guild on the server.

Clearing VP months before KF, PN or any other guild could even get into the place takes a lot of effort, patience and tactics. It truly shows what a small but capable guild can do.

Good luck to you guys, wherever you may go

Not long after Wreckers V2 stopped raiding, a number of the remaining members server transferred to greener pastures. This is where Wreckers V3 (current version) started to take shape with Thoraf as Guildleader. One day we will add his chapter to the Wreckers Story.
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

This is a work in progress .. please correct me or make additions in posts .. I will edit this as we go

Wreckers V3 started to take shape towards the end of 2002. Thoraf accepted the Guild Leadership role and Officers (Curtis, Aamasie, Giustin, maybesomeone else) were appointed. There was still enough keen Wreckers to raid .. and raid we did.

Regular targets were Rumblecrush, Vindi, Lcea Katta, 1st Brood Dragons, Trak, Xanamech and Protos. Late in 2002 we started joint raiding on some nights with (TA??). This increased our raid numbers and allowed us to progress our targets.

2003 was a year of many firsts for Wreckers. Our raid numbers grew steadily and there was no more need to joint raid.

Jan 1 2003
First AoW kill (joint raid)
Wreckers at raid = Phantomwalker, Allerial, Izno, Miruwin, Thoraf, Micahle, Arcanum, Bakkwin, Boppin, Damador, Guistin, Jheran, Jorgurof, Kathodos, Lutetia, Luvgem, Mynxi, Nuferix, Nyrvana, Zuras, Mazia, Fulrach, Scrubosaur, Ministress, Josslyne, Montaron, Aamasie, Temvardar, Twofisted, Raghaul, Ferrelaus, Jorgurorf, Qutip, Curtis, Toukol

March 31 2003
First Tmax kill

April 10 2003
First Cazic Thule (PoF)
26 in raid

May 5 2003
First PoStorms Lord
26 in raid

June 16 2003
First BoT raid wing boss win.

July 1
First Arch Lich
This kill I remember for some major loot controvery (Joint raid).

July 24 2003
First HoH trial win

Average raid attendance increases to 32

August 20 2003
First IV win

August 27 2003
First (and only?) Yeli kill

September 11 2003
First TT kill

Spetember 22 2003
First (and only?) Garudon kill (Veksar Dragon)

September 25 2003
First Korocust kill (CharB)

October 6 2003
First TZ

October 25 2003
First XTC
39 in raid

October 27 2003
First High Priest

November 24 2003
First Grummus

December 1 2003
First Agnarr

December 7 2003
First CoDa win

December 15 2003
First Shei

December 17 2003
First Emp kill
Wreckers at raid = Jonias, phantomwalker, allerial, izno, miruwin, sauvignon, thoraf, whitch, sianni, turook, arcanum, justu, rtreylok, mazia, fulrach, scrubosaur, ministress, rvictorious, balanin, bonny, Josslyne, montaron, tillaa, aamasie, beet, elierra, giustin, roobboo, temvardar, twofisted, Bladetryst, ephyr, raghaul, ferrelaus, jorgurorf, qutip, curtis, hallick, toukol, vanillagorilla, zappity

December 18 2003
First AD kill (PoV Dragon)

December 21 2003
First Seru
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Well there is the raid progression history - and a ton of front pages

2005 - Breaking into Time and the Infamous boobie mez.
viewtopic.php?t=4330

POP Time! Phase 4
viewtopic.php?t=4389

Its Bundi time
viewtopic.php?t=4473

POP Phase 5
viewtopic.php?t=4496

After 4 years POP completed - BTW anyone remember 72 man raids?
viewtopic.php?t=4511

No Guessing who was PM
viewtopic.php?t=4668

Uqua Hurt - Spot the Maz
viewtopic.php?t=5005

King and Queen
viewtopic.php?t=5043
viewtopic.php?t=5094

Another painful GOD event
viewtopic.php?t=5194

Anguish breakin - Believe it or not still in 2005
viewtopic.php?t=5493

Tacvi access about the same time
viewtopic.php?t=5601

More dragon killing - Curt is santa
viewtopic.php?t=5650

2006 - First Epic 2.0
viewtopic.php?t=5709
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Finished GOD
viewtopic.php?t=5835

DODH - Draygun was painful
viewtopic.php?t=6653

Mayong Welcomes Wreckers
viewtopic.php?t=6934

Mistmore shenanigans
viewtopic.php?t=7615

Sulon Zek about this time - fking Viral mechanic introduced. And auras - fk it was an aweful learning time
viewtopic.php?t=8034

Odeen - number one tactic..... kite
viewtopic.php?t=8805

Frostcrypt
viewtopic.php?t=8916

FC2
viewtopic.php?t=9084

Spindlecrank - Jar need to eat more.
viewtopic.php?t=9995

Somewhere in September we beat Soltaris and finished the Mayong cycle.

Creac did a lot of the front pages and hosted the photos in some place that died it seems :( Maybe he will see this and resurrect some of them

Balgresh!
viewtopic.php?t=11442

Korafax cleared
viewtopic.php?t=11520

SOD - Tower started
viewtopic.php?t=11817

Crystaline
viewtopic.php?t=11505

Overlord Muram
viewtopic.php?t=12133

Brekt rhymes with
viewtopic.php?t=12143

Auzi 1st - Underfoot
viewtopic.php?t=12616

Fippy
viewtopic.php?t=12637

Award for weirdest boss mob - Clock kill
viewtopic.php?t=13125

10 years in wreckers
viewtopic.php?t=13361
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Giustin

Post by Giustin »

Heya Silk,

It's been a bloody long time .. great to see your still alive and kicking!

Despite playing this game for over 20 years on live, TLP's, P99's et al .. nothing has ever come close to the awesomeness that was our server first VP clear. Still the greatest raid in my EQ history.

Always up for a beer if you get to Sydney

G
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

heya G /wave
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

Had a lot of nostalgia lately about EQ, good to see you guys are still around all these years later :) Was definitely the best game/guild atmosphere that I've played so far.. Bummed the old pics aren't available anymore.. I lost all mine a few years back when my PC at the time died :(
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Heya Micahle -

wow everyone is coming out of the woodwork

I do have downloaded pics.wreckers.org site - we broke it moving to the latest version of PHP. - Got it working before we got this version of the website operational, and then somehow it broke again.

Fixing it just hasnt been a priority sorry to say - along with the old movies download file section. Still have the Phantomwalker time/bert videos handy somewhere

let me know if your keen I am sure I can surface something - or just organise to download the images into a file.

Jarinu/Mazia
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

Hey MazJar ;) Yea I have quite a few songs that have burned EQ memories into them for some reason (maybe cus in the early days I had a limited pirated playlist i played on repeat :D) So everytime I hear the various songs I can vividly remember where I was in EQ grinding the levels out lol

Oh awesome the Time raids were some of the best :) Most of my old pics were from PoP days and earlier... def a lot of good times back then.

Tried to get back into EQ a month or so back but it seemed a bit overwhelming lol
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

a lot is new a lot is the same, HP and Mana totals are exponentially larger.

we had the addition of "heroic statistics" which then after a while ate the old Mod 2's like Melee Shielding etc.
"Luck" was added more recently

Nothing world shattering - just something else to accumulate to do more DPS or accept more DPS in the case of tanks.

Some new spell lines - some raid intended ones designed ones. Lot of Do this and get a recourse that thing.

At its core still the same game tho
Incubous2

Post by Incubous2 »

Original_Silk wrote:
Mon 14 Jun, 2021 2:28 pm
G'day Wreckers,

Came across a "Wrecking Crew" guild today in a game I'm playing and it made me wonder if Wreckers was still alive .. a little googling later and it looks like you are - hard to imagine it lasted 20 years since the 10 of us founded it - and even looks like you're still playing EQ!

Any of the old faces still there?
Hey Old Timer! Long time no see! Miss the old Wrecker Days! Hope everyone is doing great!

Incy from 2001
Incubous2

Post by Incubous2 »

Original_Silk wrote:
Tue 15 Jun, 2021 11:31 pm
... as I distinctly remember a guild project to level a monk and farm his faction to park him in TOV for corpse runs (and a couple of rescue missions to help guilds that had lost 3 levels trying to break Plane of Fear and recover their corpses).
Fasttah Corpseruns! I was just able to log on the account, wow, brings back memories :P