Can anyone help with this?

Moderator: Officers

Phantomwalker

Can anyone help with this?

Post by Phantomwalker »

Got a question hoping someone can help me with it here cause its really frustrating... :(

At random intervals and more and more frequently I keep seeing this blue screen of death crap on my computer or the computer reboots randomly I think i've localized it down to my Display drivers but I'm not sure what to do to correct them... Removing them and reinstalling new ones makes the problem go away temporarily... I'm also not finding any viruses on my computer either... firewall is secure and my antivirus has spyware/detection/removal abilities so I'm pretty sure I'm not being hacked... anyway here is the message from the BSD that I get:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x000000A0,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xBFF01C10)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address: BFF01C10 Base at BFEF7000, DateStamp 3EAF051D - NDIS.sys

Begining dump of physical memory
NDIS.sys is a Nvidia display driver... but ... I'm not sure what I can do to correct its malfunctioning... anyone got some suggestions this is really starting to annoy me... ruined a couple of DVD's burning them only to have computer reboot/bsd in the middle of that... ohh and it causes any files that are OPEN at the time to get all fked up and end up corrupted... :( wich is definately bad... Spent a week downloading a 1.7 gb file only to have it suddenly disappear off my harddrive then scandisk found it later and flagged it as corruptted data wich couldn't be opened once repaired/renamed.

/sigh anyway like I said after I reinstall drivers the problem is there but its not as often... I don't Reboot/BSD very often... maybe once a day... but after about a week or two of this (I'm sure it has something to do with it corrupting itself gradually after every reboot/bsd or something) its like every 15 mins give or take 30 I've had it do it directly after booting into windows and most of the time it does it when I head to bed for the night... :( but alot of the time when I'm sitting here just typing out a message or reading my email or whatever...

Anyway I hope someone can help with this or has some tips/suggestions that can help...

Thanks in advance...

PW

P.S. The GFX card in question is a GeForce FX 5600 with 256mb ram. System is an AMD Athlon 1800+ with 512mb ram a 40 gig and 6 gig HD's. Running at 1280 x 1024 res problem exists in other resolutions too... :(
Phantomwalker Wraithestalker
[ Allakhazam ]
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

Hmm.. I dunno man.. for all that you're saying that you reinstall the driver and it's better for a while what your describing sounds like hardware to me. I'd replace the card with another and see if that helps. (If you have one lying around, or can swap with a mate or something)

Apart from that slap another windows install on your machine and see if a clean install works reliably for a week or so.
Kyomunu

Post by Kyomunu »

From simple case to worst case...
1. Check IRQ and I/O conflicts
2. Search on hard disk for remenants of previous drivers and remove
3. Replace video card
4. Clean up the registry
5. Format, install Windows
6. Thorough hardware system check (could be main board bus or something as small as that).
Kyomunu - 110 Rogue
varutia

Post by varutia »

What OS you are using? Also try update the bios, it can help a lot in many situations.
Theeo

Post by Theeo »

also very rarely can be bad memory (very rarely)

I assume you've got the most recent driver from nvidia, as well as upgraded to sp2 and such?
Theeo
"I don't know; I just work here..."
70 Beast-ho of Wreckers
Official slacker in school
Worshiper of Mini CT
Saldarcheck

Customer Service

Post by Saldarcheck »

I am employed in Customer Service for an IT company.

My company supplies me with alot test equipment, but the most important peice is a rather large hammer. Drop me a line if u need to burrow it.

Sorry I cannot be more help, but my PC skills suck.
All the best with it.

Saldar
roobboo

Post by roobboo »

I had screen freeze issue myself. Reinstalled vid drivers and down loaded XP service pack 2. All is well now $$$$$
glubbish

Post by glubbish »

Have you checked the voltages on your power supply?
I used to have strange issues like that, and a new 'true' PS seemed to clear them up.
Phantomwalker

Post by Phantomwalker »

Okay I'm stupid this NDIS.sys is actually a Windows wrapper file... I have no fkn clue for what but thats all I know atm... I'm looking into it more as now I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the graphics card *sigh* anyway As in most situations when this stuff happens I think a reformattation/install may be the answer... Its prolly something left over from an older version of DX or something... says NDIS 3.0 wrapper in the file properties and its all got Copyrights and signings of that of microsoft rather then Nvidia... soo... I'm thinking there's the very rare possibility it could be DX3.0 driver or something I'm not sure though... Going to look into it more after raid or something...

PW
[ Allakhazam ]
Saldarcheck

Sending hammer to PW's house

Post by Saldarcheck »

Sending hammer to PW's house, by Air Express
Theeo

Post by Theeo »

You said it happens a lot while dvd burning? When I was doing some googling for your problem I saw quite a few posts about dvd burner drivers having this issue...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... ++ndis.sys

I'd have a go at disabling the dvd burner and see how long computer stays awake.
Theeo
"I don't know; I just work here..."
70 Beast-ho of Wreckers
Official slacker in school
Worshiper of Mini CT
Phantomwalker

Post by Phantomwalker »

I'm Pooohr ... so when I say alot I'm taking into account the amount of money I have to pay for Writeable DVD's in this shit hole part of the United states... Woe is me on my grand wendy's paycheck making the uber trips to the local staples where I can only get 5 Writeable DVD's for 39 dollars Horray!

No but seriously only 2 times and I've learned from this lesson and only use Rewriteables now ;) (wich cost more) ;0p

Computer has rebooted 2 times whilst reading the boards tonight during patch and one time Pre patch that one was a nasty one EQ crashed then Explorer.exe then computer Bluescreened and then thought it would be funny to reboot... I was like fkn hell.. well fuck... :0p then it wouldn't run scandisk on reboot so when the stuff that loads at startup tried to and all its data files were corrupted cause scandisk didn't correct it (only because it didn't run) well then that all freaked out... and then... I manually did a scandisk and it ate my bookmarks *sigh* anywho... computers are awesome... love em... they love me *bleep* (sound of PW's computer Rebooting)

I'll try the link but I thinking I just need to back all mah crap up already and give this baby a purge and a fresh pair o clothes... (or operating system wichever you wana think of...)

PW
[ Allakhazam ]
Phantomwalker

Post by Phantomwalker »

Oooo theeo I think you may be an angel... havent tried this yet but I'm using windows 3.11 drivers for my nic card ;0p bwlahahaha erm yah ... I'll go look and see if there's anything newer... :)

PW
[ Allakhazam ]
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

OMFG PW. that's just poor. 3.1 drivers. .hahah.. ndis.sys hahah.
Phantomwalker

Post by Phantomwalker »

Fucked if I know mate ;) Just going on a hunch here ;) anyway... Problem hasn't bugged me today still looking into it however... ISP went out for a few last night while I was looking for drivers *bleh*

PW
[ Allakhazam ]
stunnax

Post by stunnax »

May be a couple things..a buffer overrun when writing to cd/dvd or your video card gradually getting hot and overheating...
Stunnax
65 Rogue