Melbourne ISP's

Moderator: Officers

Yalaroo

Melbourne ISP's

Post by Yalaroo »

Can any one recommend an ISP in the Melbourne area.

The girl I am living with is currently on IINet and it is capped to 2gb a month (is this usual for ISP's in Oz? We have no caps in the UK)

This won't allow me to download Lost when it starts at the end of the month and play EQ!!

So what I want, what I really really want is an ISP that doesn't have a cap, or at least not a ridiculously small one, that doesn't tie me in to a 24 month contract or if it is a long contract then I am able to move it to a new house easily. and is less than maybe 80 dollah a month.

Thanks!
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

lol Welcome to Australia! Our internet sux :)
Creac

Post by Creac »

www.whirlpool.net.au

That's the best place to source info about internet here.

Feel free to ask specific questions, and obviously we can give recommendations. There are plenty of plans that give good amounts of limits and decent speed for $80- a month.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

You're screwed Yala :) Appearently it's easier to have 21st century infrastructure, if you can't boast farms the size of Texas :)

In other news, at least 80 pct of Denmark is covered with 3mbit/s no limit wireless internet :) 100U$/month!

(I plan on getting a 512kb/s connection and a laptop, if I have to start taking a 1½ hour train every morning to work. Even more +1s! At 40U$/month)

It's a brand new world!
Dariah

Post by Dariah »

I am with Internode and pay $49.95 a month for 10gb allowance and 1500 kb/s, they have alot of different plans available. That said, I live in QLD and I'm not sure if they are in the Melbourne area.
Creac

Post by Creac »

That is the issue, Vexo. About the size of the US with less population than the UK.

Thyrx

Post by Thyrx »

actually australia is only 2/3rds the size of the united states, and has a population of around 1/10th that of the united states.

but they have more to claim as famous than big ranches. they have australian drop bears, tim tams, and more.
Creac

Post by Creac »

Only if you count Alaska and Hawaii - I'm comparing it to continental US and we have less than 10% the population.

Micahle

Post by Micahle »

USA Land Area
(50 states) 9,158,918 sq km (3,536,278 sq miles)
(48 states) 8,588,712 sq km (3,316,118 sq miles) (-Hawaii and Alaska)

Australia Land Area
7,686,850 sq km

That amounts to 89% the size of continental USA and 83% the size of USA combined.

We have somewhere in the area of 7% the population of the US
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

It baffled me, when I read that someone took a row-boat out for a 3000 km trip and it was only between Aus and New Z. Even with the 1000km extra milage they ended up with due to storms, I didn't think the two were that far apart... they look so small on the maps!
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Size doesn't matter ... so Yoda said or something.

Also notice it's 'Great' Britain not Great Australia or Great USA... the clue is in the name :wink:
Creac

Post by Creac »

The got the spelling wrong:

"grate"

:-)

Kysumu

Post by Kysumu »

Just increase the IINET plan. Much easier option without downtime.

You won't find a true unlimited plan in Australia, even if Whirlpool suggests they still exist. Quite often they get changed within a few months of you joining up or they have what is know as an "acceptable use policy" which means your screwed and they will cap you if they think you have downloaded to much.

Myself and Thoraf are both on iinet. I have found their service to be excellent most days with little downtime.

I currently pay 109$ for 80 gig a month(More pron). This also includes VOIP which you will need to get extra bandwidth.

Internode are probably on par if not better than iinet so they might be worth checking out as well.

:fuck:
Kysumu
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

internode now meter uploads in their quota allowances I believe.. so that's somehting to look forward to. Telstra, optus and internode do this now? (I haven't really been keeping up)

You're moving to Prahan so should have most providers available to you.

There is also another thing to consider, most plans have a peak and offpeak allowance.

So you might have a 40gb plan that is 20gb from midday to 2am and 20gb from 2am to midday.. (sample times/allowances) Also worth looking at.

Also make sure the plan you're on cap's your speed instead of charges you for extra volume usage, unless you want to pay more.

As Ky says, I've found IInet to be good. get their router though, not the billion I have for better VOIP support if you go that way. you can also bundle your home phone with them to get extra allowance.
Yalaroo

Post by Yalaroo »

Kysumu wrote:Just increase the IINET plan. Much easier option without downtime....
This is what we are gonna do. I blame the the jet lag for me not thinking of this before! Oh and the sun yes it was the sun too.

Thanks for all the advice and help!
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

I am with internode in WA - its not bad. They upped the prices the day after I paid my first 3 month invoice now ther eis this upload talk. I am feeling ripped off.

iinet. Duno.
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Kysumu

Post by Kysumu »

IINET are WA based Maz.

Should look them up since internode have just made changes.

That said I expect iinet to start making the if they are happening across the board.

Who knows??

:fuck:
Kysumu
Teknoo

Post by Teknoo »

Jarinu wrote:... now ther eis this upload talk.
They just upgraded their account information section to display the data in upload / download format ;) (previously it just displayed downloads, and some people that were thinking of Xferring wanted to know how much they uploaded, so it is now displayed!!) ...

I doubt they will ever count uploads, since connectivety is always purchased symetrically and upload counts for less then 40% then download (so purchased links aren't even being swamped with uploads!) ..

Tek