My plain olde Curry (chick or any meat)

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

biliy

My plain olde Curry (chick or any meat)

Post by biliy »

MEAT/Chicken CURRY

Oil/ghee
Finely diced onions, slightly more than you might think (2-3 Onions)
1 Teaspoon/Inch Ginger #
1 Teaspoon Garlic#
1 level teaspoon Turmeric#
1 Tablespoon Coriander powder#
2 Heaped Teaspoon Paprika#
1 Heaped Teaspoon Cumin powder#
1 Pinch Mustard Powder#
Chilli powder + salt + pepper to taste#
4 Cardamom seeds* (prick them if pods)
4 cloves*
2 Cinnamon sticks*
Fresh (skin removed and diced) or Tinned tomatoes (1 tin per kg meat for dryer curry, 2 for more sauce then add little more than 1 in ALL above)
A little Tomato Paste*
Couple of Bay leaves*
Approx 1-2Lb (0.5 to 1kg meat)

Method:
1) Fry Onion till just browning in Ghee
2) Make a Paste from items marked # above, adding Fresh Chilli’s if you want. Best to do this in blender or pestle/mortar
3) Add Paste to Onion mix fry lightly to explode the spice
4) Add Meat and fry with high heat to sear the meat each side, can stir vigorously making sure it doesn’t stick.
5) Turn heat down adding tomatoes, stir in, then add items marked *
6) Simmer to meat is Tender, usually at least 2 hours I like best.

Tips:
1) Could Roast Onions instead of frying
2) If frying Onions use a little water to keep them from burning, but make sure to brown them well.
3) Don’t be scared of using too much oil/ghee you can always “skim” off the excess towards the end
4) Can add Whole Dried Chilli’s to really boost flavours
5) Better making dish too hot, can always add extra tomatoes, yoghurt, coconut cream depending on dish you are making
6) When you are starting the simmer process put the lid on the dish to keep juices in, the dish should be slightly too watery at this point, about 30 mins before serving remove lid and reduce hard to consistency you want as end dish. Better too watery to start with than too dry.
7) Keep stirring gently once every 15-20 mins to make sure it never sticks, unless you have an awesome pan.
8) If you are making larger amounts do not double the quantity of Cinnamon or Cloves. These are VERY strong aromatic substances, be careful with them. If double the KG meat I would add couple extra cloves and no more cinnamon, perhaps extra bay leave or two.

Its all about personal taste and palate, personally i like a damn_hot_curry.