Palak Paneer w shrooms and Chana ( Indian Cheese, spinach +)

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

biliy

Palak Paneer w shrooms and Chana ( Indian Cheese, spinach +)

Post by biliy »

Just made this.

Ingredients:
8 Cloves of Garlic (or less to taste, i love lots)
2 Red Onions (Coarsely chooped)
2 Ltr Milk
1 Lemon
2 - 3 TeaS Cumin Seeds
2-3 Teas Coriander Seeds
1 TeaS Turmeric
Bunch Fresh Coriander
1 Muslin Bag (Any fine cloth bag = good)
Load of Spinach
Oil or Ghee
Big Handful Shrooms (Oyster ones are nice but any will do, even a mix)
Tin of Chick Peas (Chana)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

Bring Milk to boil, add a sprinkling of Ground Cumin/Ground Coriander
Squeeze Lemon Juice in, this will curdle the milk. Once its good and curdelled (in a minute or two), pour into Muslin Bag over a colander to strain off the fluid. Leave the Paneer to cool in the bag with a small plate and a weight accross the top for around an hour. Do NOT make the weight too heavy, you want to squeeze the excess fluid out but not make the cheese too dense.

In the meantime, bring a small amount of oil to high temp add oinions, Coriander seeds, Chillies (chopped), Cumin seeds. Soften Oinions to just before translucent add Garlic and fry, dont burn ya Garlic.

Add in Cup of Yogurt. turn heat right down. Quarter the mushrooms and throw them into the mix.

Sepreatly steam your spinach (barely a few mins) and once soft drop into iced water to stop the cooking (this will help retain a georgeous bright green colour). Strain and chuck in a blender to puree. Add some fresh coriander if any.

Chop up Paneer into small cubes, throw in with Chana and the puree'd Spinach. Cook for just a few more mins till basically the Chana and Paneer is heated thru.

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Lastly grab a fresh lemon and squeeze into the dish just before serving.

I just literally finished munching this down now. Looks and tasted sensational.

Watched a few You Tube vids but mostly above is my own creation, i put in just two small Chillies but you can add as many as you like.
Koutarou

Post by Koutarou »

Might have to try this, think I have all the ingredients except the yoghurt and coriander greens already at home.
biliy

Post by biliy »

Was the first time i have treid Paneer myself. One tip i would make is really dont put too much weight ontop of the mixture, this will keep it light and fluffy and will melt in your mouth.

Still have yummy leftovers.
Nuviana

paneer

Post by Nuviana »

or go to coles and next to the haloumi and saganaki is the paneer :P
Nuv

Because i am
Kiizze

Post by Kiizze »

My son makes his own, and the taste is out of this world.

Kiiz
biliy

Post by biliy »

Paneer

Boil Milk, add lemon juice till it curdles.

Strain and press mixture.

Try making it, seriously it take like 5 minutes tops to do it (then wait 1 hour to use it).

Making it yourself is just da bomb!
Nuviana

paneer

Post by Nuviana »

your right, im just too flippin tired ztm.. i did however make 200 mini quiches with a yummy cheese pastry lastnight for my sons engagment this weekend. tiramasu being made fri nightong with cupcakes and choc crackles for my grand daughters b/day party sat.speaking of which..her bday is thurs and i have 9 for dinner , ( thnk god for slow cookers)
Nuv

Because i am
Koutarou

Post by Koutarou »

This turned out pretty well for me.

Didn't have any whole coriander on hand, had to use ground. Also added a tiny amount of asofetida.