5 Green Onions, minced well
1/2 English Cucumber, chopped 1 cup Ham or Kohlbasa, chopped
2 Lemons, juiced
1/2 cup Celery, chopped fine
Salt, to taste
Fresh Dill, chopped fine, to taste
Cooking Instructions:
Bring chicken stock to a boil and cool.

Add buttermilk and vegetables. Vegetables should be diced small.

Add ham. Season with dill, salt and pepper.
Miruwin

Not the Okroshka I know and love

Post by Miruwin »

The Okroshka I had the distinct pleasure of devouring was based on Kvass, which is (I think) an Ukrainian version of apple cider, chicken stock, with tiny slivers of chicken, shallotts, sour cream and not sure what else. It was also served chilled with tiny ice cubes floating in it
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Miruwin

Genuine Russian Okroshka

Post by Miruwin »

Dear friends,
I want to thank all people writing good words in our guest book and posting questions in Cooking forum. It shows to me, that my work brings joy and pleasure and is useful for many of you.
Today I want to share with you the recipe of traditional Russian chilled soup "Okroshka". We usually do it in summer. It is very pleasant to eat chilled dish in a very warm weather. So if you have already snow, like we have here, keep this recipe until summer. But if you enjoy sun now, "Okroshka" is right for you. For this dish, you need our beverage "Kvas", if you are new one here, you can find it on our site ("Sent Recipes" page).
"Okroshka"

I n g r e d i e n t s
3 hard boiled eggs
4 boiled peeled potatoes
2 cucumbers chopped
300gm boiled meat
3 tablespoons chopped spring onions
1 cup sour cream
1 litre Kvas
salt to taste
sugar to taste
pepper

Chop all ingredients in 1/4 inch dices, add salt, sugar and spring onions. Stir very well. Put in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Add Kvas, sugar, salt on your taste, sour cream. Don't pour all Kvas and sour cream if you are not sure you will eat everything. "Okroshka" is kept very well in the fridge without Kvas during several days.
"Okroshka" is served chilled down with greens.
Bon Appetit!
Olga.
Miruwin

Miruwin

Test Results

Post by Miruwin »

I made a batch of Olga's Okroshka up on Saturday afternoon. It was very difficult waiting for it to get nice and cool but wait I did. Remember the only cooking you have to do is hard boil the eggs and boil the potatoes and cook the meat.

I used my favourite instant stock powder, Vegeta, which is a Croatian brand and extremely good. I substituted Bundaberg ginger beer (I believe that in the USA, ginger beer is known as root beer) for the kvass and used chicken breast which I didnt boil but cut into very thin strips and lightly sauteed until just cooked. It was a toss up what cucumber I would use, English, Continental or Lebanese, I decided on a white English cucumber and only used one as it is significantly larger than the continental one. I diced all the ingredients and probably should have diced them smaller than I actually did but I don't believe its of any importance other than appearance.

The soup itself was absolutely superb, fantastic flavour and very refreshing. I believe for a hot summer night it would be perfect. It would also be an exceptionally good starter for a dinner party. The whole thing can be made up a couple of days beforehand without the ginger beer and sour cream and refrigerated. When you are ready to serve, mix the ginger beer and sour cream into the soup base.

This is a perfect 'I can't even boil water' recipe and if you served it up to your friends and in-laws they would think you were joking about not being able to cook.
Miruwin